TOP 5 FAVOURITES FROM OLD AIRPORT ROAD

By 1:46 PM , , , , ,

"I am on a seafood diet, I see food and I eat it."

With all due respect to my blog, I admit that I have left that banter over Old Airport Road right smack at the front of this site for like ages. To be honest, I have already visited Old Airport Road twice since I started up this page. It was already in the middle of the night on the 2 occasions I have been there but I am not exactly satisfied with my picture qualities. However, I just can't help it but to post on this hawker centre that I frequent especially during my school days.

How to get there:


51 Old Airport Road
S390051

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


So to make this post that bit more interesting, I am going to state what in my opinion are 5 of the very best stalls from Old Airport Road. Just a disclaimer, the stall choices I list here are probably subjective amongst different people so bear with me.

After all, I am really on a roll eating good food recently.


1) #01-107 Lao Ban Beancurd


Despite the craze over "Lao Ban" not being as immense as during its peak heyday, its beancurds are still able to attract a huge fan base. The bogus imitations didn't help matters and it is already evident within Old Airport Road itself - You can find 2 identical stalls right there.

So which is the authentic one and which is the bogus one? It's so hard to tell but let's not get entangled in this dispute.


Lao Ban beancurd provides a flavour that is basically sweetness overload. Along with its smooth texture, it is of little surprise that one can finish gulping down 5 sets of beancurds one after the other with ease.

What I observed sitting beside the stall was this: Almost every 30 seconds, there would at least be 1 person queuing to purchase either the beancurds or soyabean.

This popularity for Lao Ban beancurds is evidently indisputable.

It has got to make the top 5 list of any avid Old Airport Road fan unless, well.... if you're allergic to the beancurds.

Price Range: $1.50-$2

Ratings: 4.1/5

2) #01-84 Pastamanna


Every hawker place would usually have a stall selling Western delights. Old Airport Road is of no exception. My top 5 favourite list has got 2 Western stalls and Pastamanna is one of them. Filling and tasty, the well-cooked spaghettis and pastas bring flavour to the fore with their cream base.


I personally have a huge appetite. However, if you are thinking about eating many other side dishes along with what you order from this stall, think again. The portion might not be particularly huge, but do not underestimate how filling consuming one bowl can be. The stall however, are very generous as they provide plentiful of other ingredients like prawns and meat.

The great combination of good pasta/spaghetti, cream sauce and large quantities of ingredients make this stall a sure bet to be in my top 5 favourite list.

Price Range: $5-$10

Ratings: 3.9/5

3) #01-27 Holy Grill


The second Western place on my list is none other than Holy Grill. It is probably the first few stalls that I have tried when I first set foot upon Old Airport Road many years ago during my Secondary School days. Affordable and not overpriced, Holy Grill is able to whip up many delicious delights with a mere waiting time of around 10minutes.


The flavourful quality of their food makes it well worth the money spent. Not the most outstanding, but definitely worth a go.

Price Range: $7-$10

Ratings: 3.8/5

4) #01-63 Long Beach Seafood


Although this stall won't be able to whip up stingray as good as the one from Lao Pat Sat or Bedok 85, it is still worth a go to try it. I am not sure if it is one of the real stalls from the famous Long Beach but either way, it is well worthy to have the 2 words on its stall name.

Price Range: $5-$15
Ratings: 3.6/5


5) #01-28 Xing Li Cooked Food


Saving the best for the last, Xing Li's Fried Oysters and Oyster Omelette scores a landslide victory over all other outlets at the same hawker centre. Despite the stall only serving 2 dishes as can be seen from the picture, the old uncle that mans the stall does a great job at preparing them.


What I noticed was that the uncle would splash the egg first before wrapping the oysters within it to let it stay and cook for about 5 minutes, different from how the stall at Tiong Bahru Market does it. The waiting time at this stall might be a tad long but if you are willing to queue up and wait for good oysters, then all the more you should do it.


Just a word of advice, watching the old uncle cook what you ordered is a tantalizing experience that would make your hunger pangs ever more prominent.


What makes a fried oyster or oyster omelette fantastic in my opinion are the chilli sauce they provide and the oysters. One can't be complete without the other. Xing Li Cooked Food offers both and is a sure must try local delight from Old Airport Road.

Price Range: $4-$6

Ratings: 4.3/5

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with the fried oyster stall, it effectively wraps up my top 5 favourite stalls from Old Airport Road.

This place is rated one of the top 5 hawker centres in Singapore and with good reason as well. Apart from the 5 stalls I have listed, there are still plenty more food stalls in Old Airport Road that deserves a mention.

Here are 4 other good food stalls from Old Airport Road:


1) #01-91 Congee Stall


2) #01-45 Fatman Satay

 
3) #01-02 Hua Kee Hougang Famous Wan Ton Mee 
 
 
 4) #01-04 Cho Kee Noodle

 
I believe I will post on more good food from Old Airport Road in the future. The food there certainly cries out loud for people to try it.



So with that, Peanut has left another marker on a food place.

Stay tuned for more adventures!

Signing off,
KY

You Might Also Like

0 comments